Things you hopefully won't need:
Its pretty simple once you've done it once.
- Build your icons for 48px, 32px and 16px.
- Take them into photoshop if they are not there already.
- Create a layered file with the three sizes in 32-bit color
- Save each size as a new file and covert it to index (256) color. This makes the 8-bit versions.
- Save each size as a new file with index (16) colors. This makes the 4-bit versions.
- Import the layered psd file plus the 6 other files into GIF Movie Gear.
- Crop the frames of the imported layered file to the correct size.
- Save as an icon.
In order to use the icon file in VB it must have an 8-bit version.